- Focus on internal experience/internal meaning.
- Most stories ended unhappily.
- Which was one of the factors that limited its widespread appeal.
- Editing to affect feeling.
- Distortion (to portray experience) primarily through camera work rather than manipulation of mise-en-scene.
- Subjective camera
- “Unchained camera”
- Camera position/movement to convey emotion.
- May show how something feels rather than how it actually is.
- Impressionism was a direct response to realism.
- Abel Gance
- Napoleon (1927)
- The Smiling Madame Beudet (1923)
- Ran 1919 — 1929.